Shultz Technologies Corp
November 1999 to Present (with a three-year sabbatic interruption)
- Founded company in Orlando, Florida.
- Designed data networks for small- to medium-sized businesses in Central Florida.
- Installed and configured routers, T1’s, fractional T1’s, firewalls, proxy servers, Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), Microsoft Exchange, Windows NT Server, Windows Server, and DNS servers.
- Migrated businesses from Novell Netware to a Windows Server environment, implementing all necessary services to make them efficient and effective networks.
- Assisted business owners in making investments into their IT infrastructure, taking into account their available financial resources and growth projections.
- Built custom PC’s as a side venture and also built custom, affordable servers for small offices and home offices (SOHO).
I dissolved the corporation and concentrated on taking care of my son, after the court appointed me sole custodian. I completed my business administration degree at University of Central Florida in December of 2004.
- Re-incorporated in 2006 and conducted business under the DBA of STC Medical.
- Coordinated installation and configuration of digital X-ray machines for podiatrists and orthopedists, which involved workstation setups, calibration of digital sensors, implementation of patient databases, and training of medical staff.
- Solved problems with PC’s, Macs, wireless and wired networks, and related technologies for home offices and businesses.
- Ceased doing business under the DBA of STC Medical in early 2019.
2019 and Onward
Training and retraining on the following skills on online platforms that mostly include LinkedIn Learning and Udemy:
- Courses on building, rebuilding, and maintaining PC’s (mostly refresher courses)
- Windows 10 (refresher course)
- MacOS (refresher course)
- Windows Server (I have an NT Server 4.0 MCSE, but I’m learning more advanced, current versions)
- Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu)
- General Web Development (WordPress, Ruby on Rails, Python, PHP, MySQL, etc.)
- Microsoft Office (refresher courses)
Microsoft Exchange Consultant
- Completed short-term contract with Lockheed Martin in Orlando, Florida, to redesign, maintain, and apply “Best Practices” to Microsoft Exchange 5.5 multiple server, multiple site environment, which supported over 5,000 users.
- Installed and/or reconfigured Internet Mail Service connectors (IMS/SMTP), X.400 connectors (via frame-relay, ISDN, and T-1 access), Exchange performance monitoring (NetIQ and PerfMon), Network Associates GroupShield Exchange 4.0.4 (anti-virus software), Exchange Outlook Web Access (OWA) with SSL encryption.
- Imparted to staff my knowledge and expertise in electronic mail design and administration to benefit them following my departure.
Microsoft Exchange Consultant
September 1999 to December 1999
- Completed four-month contract to redesign Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 environment.
- Supported two Exchange sites connected via frame-relay using Exchange site connectors.
- Reinstalled and reconfigured Internet Mail Service, including SMTP relay, Internet Mail Access Protocol (IMAP4), and POP3.
- Implemented Outlook Web Access (OWA) to support remote clients.
- Provided tertiary support to Microsoft Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express 5.0 users.
- Wrote a “Best Practices” document to help firm manage the mail servers subsequent to completion of contract.
Autonomous Technologies Corp
July 1998 to August 1999
- Served as IT manager, reporting to the CFO, for this Orlando firm located in the Research Park area near UCF.
- Supervised staff members (IT analysts and database administrators).
- Designed reliable and scalable network that doubled in size during tenure (75 nodes to 150 nodes).
- Developed and monitored IT departmental budget.
- Coordinated strategic IT planning and implemented cutting-edge network design. Server environment consisted primarily of six Windows NT 4.0 Servers.
- Completed project to convert to a 100 megabit, switched Ethernet (3COM 3300 switches) network.
- Completed project to convert from static IP addressing to DHCP (dynamic IP address assignment).
- Upgraded to Microsoft Exchange 5.5 (from version 5.0).
- Other technologies mastered: Check Point Firewall and Cisco routers.
Walt Disney World
Information Systems Contractor
March 1997 to June 1998
- Completed fifteen-month contract (five three-months contracts).
- Responsible for administration of NetWare 3.11 and 3.12 file servers, NetWare 4.10 file servers, Lotus cc:Mail post offices, and cc:Mail clients.
- Ensured connectivity among Windows 95 and NT Workstation and DOS-based clients, which included resolving DHCP/BOOTP and static TCP/IP addressing conflicts.
- Participated in NetWare 3.1X to NetWare 4.1X migrations across property.
- Assisted in Novell NetWare Client32 rollouts and troubleshot token-ring and Ethernet segments.
Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
October 1996 to March 1997
- Completed six-month contract servicing an Orlando-based customer care call center in the administration and management of Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0 file servers, and NetWare 3.11 file servers.
- Troubleshot DHCP and static TCP/IP addressing conflicts.
- Installed and supported NT Remote Access Service (RAS).
- Implemented, maintained, and troubleshot Microsoft Mail post offices.
August 1996 to September 1996
- Completed one-month assignment designing and implementing a LAN for a technical services conference at the Renaissance Hotel in Orlando, Florida.
- The LAN design included two Novell NetWare 3.12 servers, running the IPX and TCP/IP protocols over a token-ring and Ethernet topology, with connectivity to 30 Windows 95 workstations and to corporate production servers located at Price Waterhouse’s Tampa location (design and staging occurred in Tampa, setup and implementation in Orlando).
March 1996 to August 1996
- Completed five-month contract as a network administrator for this national company’s Lake Mary location.
- Responsible for the administration and management of a 250 node, multiple-server, Novell NetWare 3.12 and 4.10 network.
- Deployed Windows NT Server 3.51 and 4.0.
- Installed DHCP servers.
- Deployed Windows 95.
- Installed Microsoft Mail and deployed mail client software.
Presbyterian Retirement Communities
October 1995 to March 1996
- Completed six-month contract as a network administrator supporting a fifty node Novell NetWare 3.12 network for this Florida retirement community’s headquarters in Orlando.
- Maintained remote access for offsite staff members, utilizing Shiva dial-in units and other modem technologies.
- Installed, configured, and troubleshot PC workstations, network interface cards, printers, and other peripheral devices.
- Managed hardware and software support agreements.
- Purchased equipment and services.
- Coordinated end-user training.
June 1991 to March 1996
- Developed a wide variety of software programs, including shareware applications that were published to CD collections and distributed via bulletin board systems (BBS) throughout the world.
- Software development platforms included Microsoft BASIC and its many descendants, PowerBASIC, Pascal, and I authored assembler language libraries for implementation through BASIC to trigger interrupts in Novell NetWare servers.
- During this time I owned a computer retail business that catered to small businesses and home offices.